Many patients, after receiving a diagnosis of arthritis, believe that not much can really be done to help them. The diagnosis usually comes abruptly, from a well intentioned physician, without much explanation or discussion regarding causation or treatment options. “It’s just arthritis” we are told, “Old Arthur comes to visit us all eventually.” It is as if the diagnosis is something of a normal consequence of aging. That annoying uncle that must be tolerated and accepted for the rest of your days.
Of course there are options like pills, steroid injections, pain management, nerve burning, and even surgical procedures that are used in a otiose attempt to mitigate the persistent symptoms of the bothersome “Uncle Arthur.” However, it is now clear that the use of medications, surgeries, and injections in the treatment of osteoarthritis can lead to unintended and occasionally devastating outcomes.
A New Perspective
After years of treating patients suffering from the painful effects of degenerative arthritis, I have come to learn that a new approach is required. No longer is it acceptable to simply throw pills at the problem. The research is clear. Without a comprehensive approach that addresses the fundamental causes of the degenerative process, no lasting recovery from the effects of arthritis can be expected.
We must look at the problem from a completely different point of view. We know that the fundamental cause of degenerative arthritis is loss of function within a motion segment. The loss of function leads to abnormal motion with causes inflammation of the joint. Chronic inflammation leads to degeneration which leads to more loss of function and more pain. It is a vicious cycle.
Any hope at improvement must be focused on dismantling the cycle. Once the cycle is dismantled (not just broken) improvement that leads to lasting recovery can begin.
To dismantle this chronic and degenerative cycle, we ask specific questions relative to your unique condition. We will commonly ask questions like….
- What can be done improve the function in your area of complaint?
- Example: Both traditional and low force chiropractic techniques can help improve joint function and biomechanics.
- Example: Acupuncture is excellent for decreasing spasm, reducing inflammation, promoting healing, and restoring function.
- Example: Massage, therapeutic exercise, ultrasound, and electric muscle stimulation can all be utilized to improve joint function and health
- Other modalities and techniques will be addressed and discussed depending on your unique situation
- What dietary changes need to be addressed to promote healing and decrease inflammation?
- Do you consume artificial sweeteners? Sweeteners like aspartame are highly inflammatory.
- What is you level of hydration? Inflammation thrives when we don’t get adequate water intake.
- Are there any foods or habits that need to be addressed to give you the best chance at recovery?
- We will make specific recommendations relating to your diet in order the promote healing and improvement
- What stretches and/or exercise programs need to be implemented to promote healing and recovery?
- A specific, custom tailored exercise program will be developed and updated throughout the course of your treatment plan.
- Do you require nutritional and/or herbal supplementation?
- When and if we believe that you would benefit from nutritional and/or herbal supplementation, we will custom tailor your person supplement schedule.
- Do you have any medications that may be causing some of your symptoms?
- We are happy to work with you and your prescribing doctor to suggest alternatives to any prescription medications that may be slowing or hampering your recovery.
- And many more…
I believe the success we have had in our clinics in treating patients with degenerative arthritis over the last 20 years lies in the uniqueness of our approach to care. Our model has you, the individual patient, at it’s core. Since no two conditions are the same, it stands to reason that no two treatment plans should be the same either. We get to the core of the degenerative cycle specific to your individual condition and dismantle it so that treatment can begin and healing can occur.
This is certainly not an overnight process and it will take a considerable amount of effort of your part to meet your goals. However, we have accompanied thousands of patients on this journey and we will be with you to provide support, encouragement, and love throughout the process.
We serve patients from Trophy Club, Keller, Southlake, Grapevine, Argyle, Justin, NRH, and across the North Tarrant County area. Chiropractor Acupuncture 76262