Chiropractic care is a holistic, drug-free, and nonsurgical approach to helping the body heal through spinal manipulation. A misaligned spine can cause chronic and acute back pain. It can also contribute to other health concerns, such as arthritis, inflammation, and anxiety. With over 20 years of experience, Dr. Cody Doyle has developed his own technique. He also uses the Diversified, Activator, Thompson, and Gonstead chiropractic methods to deliver optimal treatment. During your alternative treatment, Dr. Doyle will manipulate your spine into proper alignment to improve mobility, comfortable function, and overall wellness.
What Is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is a natural alternative to medical healthcare. It treats the root cause of musculoskeletal and central nervous system conditions by manipulating the spine with gentle adjustments. The word “chiropractic” is actually translated as “done by hand.” With this approach, trained chiropractors search for the root issue causing discomfort. We then perform manual or mechanical treatments on the spinal vertebrae and joints. Drugs and surgery are not part of chiropractic care, though natural supplements and herbs can be helpful.
Spinal manipulation is also known as spinal adjustment. It has been identified throughout history as a means for treating the body, as far back as 2700 B.C. Chiropractic officially became a profession in 1895, by Daniel David Palmer. Since that time, it has gained recognition as a successful means for eliminating pain and healing the body. At Doyle Chiropractic & Acupuncture, we use a variety of treatment methods. These include physical therapy, acupuncture, and nutritional therapy, in addition to chiropractic care to help your body heal and recover.
Why Chiropractic Care Is Important
Your spine is made up of 24 different movable vertebrae. They are responsible for basic range of motions, such as walking, bending, and moving your neck. The spine protects your central nervous systemand is responsible for the function and coordination of every muscle and organ within your body. Your body function when nerves within your spine carry messages from your brain to various parts of your body.
Misaligned vertebrae, also known as vertebral subluxations, inhibit clear communication within your central nervous system. When your spine is misaligned, it can impair basic everyday tasks. Misalignment may also contribute to allergies, weight gain, fatigue, and stress and anxiety. Routine chiropractic care allows a body to naturally heal itself and restore optimum health.
Cause of Vertebral Subluxations
Chiropractic care is a safe and effective treatment that can help improve your overall health and quality of life. Common causes of vertebral subluxations include:
- Traumatic birth
- Sports injury
- Repetitive motions (lifting, typing, poor posture)
- Car accident or fall
- Joint inflammation
- Poor diet
- Disc issues
- Tight muscles
Chiropractic Treatment Methods
Below are the common spinal manipulation methods Dr. Doyle performs at Doyle Chiropractic & Acupuncture:
- Diversified Method: As the oldest and still one of the most commonly used methods, Dr. Doyle will use his hands to apply pressure to your vertebrae with high-velocity, low-amplitude (HVLA), long lever manual thrusts.
- Activator Method: This method uses a handheld device to administer mechanical manipulation to your spine. It is known for delivering soft impulses to the spine to gently correct misalignment.
- Thompson Method: Combining manual thrusts with a drop table technique, this method s quite effective. It allows the thrusts to be applied at high speed, with minimal force.
- Gonstead Method: Similar in style to the diversified method, this approach uses a variety of tables, positions, and manual thrusts to adjust the neck and back. Adjustments are often described as short lever, high-velocity, and low-amplitude thrusts.
What to Expect During Treatment
During your initial consultation, Dr. Doyle will perform a detailed physical examination. He will pay careful attention to your medical history and current health concerns, lifestyle habits, and stress levels. In addition, he will perform a series of x-rays and tests to locate vertebral subluxations and determine your range of motion and flexibility. With this information, Dr. Doyle will properly diagnose the root of your issue.
Once the issue has been diagnosed, Dr. Doyle will create a personalized treatment plan to get you started on your healing path. The first step is removing anything hindering your body from naturally healing itself. In addition to chiropractic care, Dr. Doyle may recommend lifestyle changes, such as minimizing stress, formatting a nutritional plan with herbal supplements, and a detoxification program. Detox will purge your body of toxins that contribute to an unhealthy spine.
During your chiropractic adjustment, Dr. Doyle will have you lie face down or face up on an adjustment table and apply quick, yet gentle thrusts over the misaligned vertebra. When this occurs, you may hear a popping or cracking sound, followed by alleviated discomfort. Although the sound may be shocking initially, it is nothing to be alarmed by. It is associated with a release of gas between your vertebrae.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Side effects of a misaligned spine can often go unnoticed for years at a time, but eventually it will take a toll on your body. Routine visits with a chiropractor can help prevent serious conditions from developing and help you maintain your long-term health. The extent and frequency of your treatment will depend on the complexity and severity of your health issue and overall goals.
- Improve your range of motion and coordination
- Improve nerve communication within your body
- Improve your posture, joint function, and physical performance
- Minimize neck and back pain
- Minimize pain in the upper extremities (arm, wrist, shoulders, elbows)
- Minimize pain in the lower extremities (leg, knee, foot, and ankle)
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Reduce allergy symptoms
- Reduce headaches
- Find relief from degenerative and inflammatory arthritis
- Find relief from chronic and acute pain
- Improve your overall quality of life
Improve Your Health with Chiropractic Care
If you are interested in learning more about chiropractic care and how it can benefit you, contact Doyle Chiropractic & Acupuncture today to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Doyle. We care for patients from North Fort Worth, including Trophy Club, Grapevine, Southlake, Argyle, Keller, NRH, and Justin.