Bone spurs, herniated discs, injury, and spinal stenosis are the most common causes of sciatica—pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve. This pain reaches from the lower back and down one of the legs and causes pain, inflammation, and numbness. Sciatica can be debilitating, but it doesn’t have to be.
Dr. Cody Doyle can work alongside you to create a treatment plan to relieve your sciatic nerve pain. The treatment plan may be a combination of chiropractic, acupuncture, and exercise. Contact our Roanoke, TX chiropractic office today at 817-767-5430 to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Doyle.
Here are five exercises you can try at home to relieve your sciatica pain:
1. Sciatica nerve floss
Sciatic nerve flossing can decompress your sciatic nerve and relieve lower back pain. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Sit upright on a chair with your feet hanging off the side or placed on the floor in front of you.
- Put your hands on your thighs.
- Extend the pained leg straight out and look straight up.
- Lower your leg and head (looking down at your lap) at the same time.
- Do ten reps, three times a day.
2. Cat and Cow
To prevent further damage, use a low range of motion when practicing this exercise. Here’s how to use the cat and cow exercise to relieve your sciatica:
- Kneel on your hands and knees. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders and knees positioned under your hips.
- Take a deep breath.
- Arch your spine while you exhale and hold the position for two seconds.
- Inhale while you tighten your stomach muscles and round your back. Hold for two seconds.
- Repeat this motion ten times.
3. Deep thigh stretch
If your sciatic nerve pain begins in your piriformis muscle (in the buttock area), this stretch can help relieve the tension.
- Lie on your back with bent knees and feet flat on the floor.
- Place your right ankle on top of your left knee.
- Pull your thigh towards your chest with your hands or a band. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Do the same for your right leg.
- Repeat this two more times on each side.
4. Half cobra pose
Extend your spine and reduce pain with the half cobra pose. Repeat the following steps ten times:
- Lie on your stomach.
- Prop yourself up on your elbows but keep your hips on the floor. Hold for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Lie flat on your stomach.
- Each time you prop yourself up, work your way to staying up for 30 seconds.
5. Full cobra pose
Take caution with this exercise, but if your back allows, the full cobra pose can push back any disc material that is causing your pain.
- Lie flat on the ground with your hands flat on the ground next to your shoulders.
- Keeping your hips on the ground, push up until you feel a slight stretch.
- With each stretch, slightly push yourself further and hold for longer.
- Repeat this exercise five more times.
Why should I seek chiropractic care?
In addition to these stretches, Dr. Doyle can use the proper adjustment techniques to relieve your pain even faster. Chiropractic care offers drug-free pain relief, reduces inflammation, and restores your range of motion. With over 20 years of experience, you can trust Dr. Doyle to create a treatment plan that suits your specific needs.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Let us help you live a pain-free life with a personalized chiropractic treatment plan. Contact our Roanoke, TX office today at 817-767-5430 today.