If you think chiropractor treatment is only for back or neck pain, think again. Your overall health and wellbeing rely on the proper alignment of every system in your body. This includes the entire musculoskeletal structure and the nervous system.
Dr. Cody Doyle at Doyle Chiropractic and Acupuncture in Roanoke, TX, has over 20 years of experience treating patient with pain, numbness, tingling, and reduced range of motion. He understands the significance of proper alignment in the entire body for overall health and wellness.
When any system of the body is out of alignment, it can affect you in unexpected ways. For instance, problems in the nervous system can trigger or worsen allergies. And while misalignment in the spine is known to cause numerous problems, the body has many joints in the upper and lower extremities that rely on proper alignment.
In addition, Dr. Doyle has several chiropractor treatment options that go above and beyond the manipulation of joints. Some of his most popular treatment options include acupuncture, myofascial release therapy, muscle stimulation, and ultrasound therapy. Other treatments include hot and cold therapy, nutrition and herbal therapies, detox and home exercise programs, and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation.
Chiropractor Treatment for Lower Extremity Pain
Problems in the lower extremities typically involve the ankle, knee, and hip joints. Most often, injury (trauma), overuse, or wear and tear cause the problems. However, arthritis or inflammatory issues can cause also cause pain. And an issue with one leg can cause overcompensation of the other leg, which can change your gait and lead to more problems.
Issues with your ankle
The most common ankle issue is a tear, inflammation, or bruising of the muscles, tendons, or ligaments. This is commonly known as an ankle sprain.
Other ankle problems, however, can occur with knee or hip disorders, gait issues, overuse, ill-fitting shoes, and arthritis.
Common ankle issues also include:
- Plantar fasciitis, which causes stabbing pain near your heel at the bottom of your foot.
- Achilles tendonitis, which causes pain along the heel bone and back of your ankle.
- Shin splints, which causes pain in the lower leg that radiates to your foot and ankle.
- Heel spurs, which are painful bony growths on the arch of the foot or heel bone.
Dr. Doyle will determine the cause of your pain and symptoms with a thorough evaluation. He can then recommend a chiropractor treatment plan that addresses your specific complaints and needs to alleviate your pain.
Your knee bears a great deal of your body weight, and it is often the first injured joint. Problems arise from trauma, overuse, poor arch support, and improper use, such as with lifting weights. However, issues can also arise from hip or ankle injuries.
Symptoms of knee problems include stiffness, pain, popping or clicking, swelling, and muscle weakness.
Common knee conditions include:
- Runner’s knee, which produces pain to the outside and front of the knee when running, jumping, squatting, or kneeling.
- Degenerative arthritis that affects the cartilage of the knee.
- Bursitis, which can cause pain on either side of your knee.
- Strain of the meniscus, MCL, or ACL, which can cause severe pain to the outside, inside, or back of the knee with rotation.
- Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease, which causes pain and swelling to the front of the knee due to rapid bone growth.
The hip joint is a large ball and socket joint responsible for weight-bearing that allows running, jumping, walking, and sitting.
Problems in the hip joint can cause localized pain or pain that radiates through the pelvis and down the leg.
Common chiropractor treatment options Dr. Doyle offers for the hip include:
- Hip strains, caused by overuse or injury to surrounding hip muscles from injury, overuse, or improper form.
- Bursitis, which produces a burning sensation or pain on the outside of the hip.
- Sciatica, represented by pain that radiates through the buttocks and down the leg caused by a pinched nerve in the back.
- Arthritis, in which the loss of cartilage causes stiff and inflamed joints.
- Snapping Hip Syndrome, which produces a popping or clicking sound in the hip when walking, stretching, or standing up.
Chiropractor Treatment for Upper Extremity Pain
Numerous treatable problems in the upper extremities can prevent you from enjoying life and completing your job satisfactorily. While injury and trauma can cause problems with your wrists, elbows, hands, and shoulders, the problem is usually related to overuse or repetitive motion, such as with typing, over-exercising, or frequent heavy lifting.
The severity of injury and your activity level greatly affect your pain. Symptoms can include throbbing, dull, aching, or sharp pain followed by tingling and numbness. The pain may radiate down your entire arm, or it could be isolated to one area.
The most common upper extremity issues include:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: This is frequently caused by repetitive use, such as typing, but thyroid disorders, obesity, arthritis, and fluid retention can also cause it. Symptoms include numbness, tingling, or pain in your wrist and hand.
- Tennis Elbow: This causes pain and swelling in the arm and elbow. While tennis can cause this problem, any repetitive motion of the thumb and first two fingers can be the culprit. This includes knitting, typing, guitar playing, and weightlifting.
- Nerve Entrapment: Also called a pinched nerve, this condition generally causes pain and weakness in the wrist, elbow, and hand that can travel to your little finger. This is generally caused by injury or improper techniques during repetitive activity.
- Shoulder pain: Any number of things can cause shoulder pain. Most often, it is the result of rotator cuff injury, repetitive activity, neck injury, or scar tissue. The symptoms can include reduced range of motion and muscle stiffness.
Evaluation of Extremity Problems
Dr. Doyle will perform a series of tests, including diagnostic testing, to determine the cause of your symptoms.
Once he confirms a diagnosis, he will discuss chiropractic treatment options with you and come up with a personalized treatment plan that includes your input.
Your treatment plan may include chiropractic adjustments and one or more modalities to reduce your symptoms.
Chiropractic Treatment Options
Dr. Doyle utilizes numerous treatment modalities to help you with all of your symptoms. Your plan may include one or more of the following:
Manipulation: Dr. Doyle has performed manipulation treatment to over 100,000 patients. This involves returning the musculoskeletal and nervous systems to normal function by making sure they are properly aligned.
Myofascial Release Therapy: Dr. Doyle treats muscles and connective tissues with the use of deep massage. This therapy improves function and flexibility in your muscles.
Acupuncture: Dr. Doyle is an experienced acupuncturist who treats numerous dysfunctions in the body. Acupuncture involves the use of thin needles placed into acupuncture points in the body to improve energy and blood flow while stimulating the underlying tissues. This treatment has shown improvements in a wide range of health issues.
Contact Dr. Doyle Today
Chiropractic care is no longer only for spinal manipulations to improve back or neck pain. If you suffer from problems with any of your body systems, now is the time to consider chiropractic care. Over the last 20-plus years, Dr. Doyle has experienced tremendous results from the many modalities he offers.
Is it time to return to an enjoyable, pain-free life?
Contact Doyle Chiropractic and Acupuncture online today or call us at (817) 767-5430 to schedule a consultation.